|Organization:||Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers|
|Primary Category:||Nonprofit Job Opportunities|
This is a full-time position at the Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers, a statewide nonprofit association of private and community foundations, corporations, donor advised funds, giving circles and public charities. The Association’s mission is to maximize the impact of giving on community life through a growing network of diverse, informed and effective philanthropists.
The mission of the Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers (ABAG) is to maximize the impact of philanthropic giving on community life through a growing network of diverse, informed and effective grantmakers. Through its work ABAG seeks to improve community conditions and enhance the well-being of citizens in the Greater Baltimore region and across the state by nurturing a healthy philanthropic sector and cultivating wise investments of philanthropic dollars.
As a membership organization, ABAG’s top priority is helping to fulfill the philanthropic aspirations of all members through high quality training and education, research, technical assistance, coaching and peer mentoring and innovative initiatives. Our members include more than 140 private and community foundations, donor advised funds, and corporations with strategic grantmaking programs - representing the vast majority of institutional giving in our area.
ABAG also recognizes and affirms the importance of new donors to philanthropy and endeavors to develop and maintain relationships and partnerships with representatives of organizations and institutions that are critical to a vibrant philanthropic sector. This includes policy makers, the media, community leaders and partners, associations of grantmaking organizations, and the nonprofit community.
The Program and Communication Associate supports the Programs and Initiatives Director in creating and nurturing opportunities for members to address critical community conditions primarily by facilitating member engagement around issues, collaborative projects and shared learning. The Association provides more than 100 peer networking and learning opportunities each year.
The Associate also supports the President and staff in developing internal and external communications and strategies to engage and inform members and a broader network of philanthropic partners.
Reports to: President
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following responsibilities are descriptive of current policies, practices and programs of the Association. The role of the Program and Communication Associate may change pursuant to directives of the President and the Board of Directors.
Programming and Member Engagement
The Associate supports the Programs and Initiatives Director and the President in moving funders to action to improve community conditions. The Associate supports the planning and implementation of educational programming on community issues, member discussions, skill-building workshops and special events.
- Assists in all activities related to supporting programs and meetings
- Supports the Programs and Initiatives Director in coordinating and managing resources to support affinity groups, including budgeting, grantseeking and reporting
- Supports one or more funder affinity groups to develop goals and plans and facilitate program participation
- Supports members working on identified community issues through collaboration, education, and collective action that includes a broad network of grantmakers, nonprofit leaders, elected officials and public agency staff
- Supports the Programs and Initiatives Director in national engagement with national organizations and other regional associations of grantmakers to compile and disseminate information and lessons learned, informing the philanthropic field and mobilizing funders.
- Works with Program and Initiatives Director and Member Information and Operations Manager to strategize and integrate new technology formats and delivery methods including webinars, live streaming, social media platforms, etc.
The Associate supports the President in the implementation of ABAG’s external and internal communications insuring that the ABAG "brand” is presented consistently to members, the network and the general public and increasing the visibility of philanthropy and general understanding of its impact in the region.
- Implements routine and strategic communications under the guidance of the President and in close collaboration with all members of the core staff
- Assists the Association’s Core, Consulting and Project Staff in developing special communications
- Convenes the Association’s "Talking Shop with Communications Professionals” program series to share and learn with peers across the network
- Manages, with the Member Information and Operations Manager, the Association’s website
- Manages daily maintenance of ABAG’s social media outreach via Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Google + pages
- Manages publication of eNewsletters with content development support from team
- Manages the Association’s Adventures in Philanthropy blog with content support from team
- Maintains current media list and relationships
- Maintains an organized and updated library of publications, electronic and print archives
- Reports on media contacts and quarterly positive media exposure
- Oversees design and production of online and printed publications
The President is the principle contact for all media.
Core Services and Operations
All Staff are responsible for working collegially to ensure the smooth operations of the organization.
- Plans, facilitates and participates in regularly scheduled staff meetings, professional development opportunities, and organizational planning efforts
- Writes summaries, reports, articles, and web content for a variety of audiences.
- Provides/supports colleagues in providing customized responses to member requests.
- Provides/supports colleagues with research on current topics in specific issue areas
- Designs/facilitates presentations and workshops for colleagues and philanthropic partners
- Maintains working knowledge of developments and trends in philanthropy and the nonprofit sector including communication, marketing and new media trends
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director and the President
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Sense of humor essential
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Excellent listening, analytical and research skills
- Demonstrated sound judgment
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to write clearly and convincingly
- Organized and detailed work habits
- Ability to set and meet deadlines, plan and track multiple projects, and prioritize editorial duties within organization’s calendar
- Familiarity with database management systems a plus
- Flexibility to travel (less than 10%)
- Computer literate in a PC environment essential
- B.A. in communications or related field of study
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a professional position involving one or more of the following: communications, conference or event coordination, or program development
- Experience with a variety of social media platforms essential
- Experience with online email marketing software such as MailChimp strongly preferred
- Experience in conducting research, and preparing and distributing public information
- Experience planning meetings, workshops and seminars preferred
- Experience with graphic design and desktop publishing
- Communications experience in a nonprofit or membership organization preferred
Salary range starts at $45,000
The Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers is an equal opportunity employer and seeks a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending resume and cover letter electronically to:
Member Information and Operations Manager
Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers
All applicants are required to complete a short application form and submit three writing samples. Click here to complete the application form and submit your writing samples.
Please state "ABAG Program and Communication Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Electronic submission is required. No phone calls, please.